Thank you is one of the most important polite phrases in the English language.
We use it all the time with family, friends, coworkers, strangers, and everyone in between! But it gets a little boring to say and hear the same tired phrase over and over again, right?
This is why native speakers have come up with lots of unique variations over time.
The following is a list that can help you broaden your polite vocabulary, speak creatively, and write with confidence:
The Classics (appropriate in almost every situation)
- Thank you.
- Thanks. (A bit quicker and less personal than #1)
- Thank you very much. (A little more appreciative than #1)
Formal Ways (popular in professional conversations)
- Many thanks.
- I wish to say thank you.
- Thank you for everything. (A great choice when multiple things have been done for you.)
- Please accept my thanks.
- I cannot thank you enough.
- I’d like to express my thanks.
- I sincerely thank you.
- Thanks in advance. (Used before a requested action has been completed.)
- Thank you kindly. (This one is old-fashioned and highly formal.)
Casual Options & Exclamations (use these with friends or close colleagues)
- Thanks so much.
- Thanks a lot.
- Thanks a million! (An enthusiastic expression.)
- Thanks a ton!
- Thanks a bunch!
Abbreviations (for informal text messages & DMs)
- Ty (Short for “thank you”.)
- Thx (Short for “thanks”.)
- TYVM or TQVM (Short for “thank you very much”.)
- Thanks again. (To say thanks for a second time.)
- Noted/Received with thanks. (Often said in response to an email containing information or an attachment.)
- Please pass on my thanks. (To direct someone to thank a third party on your behalf.)
- Thank you from the bottom of my heart. (Used as a heartfelt expression in response to a kind gesture.)
- Special thanks go to… (names of people) – (To give credit to others and acknowledge their contribution.)
- I want to thank everyone for… (an action they did) (Useful when thanking a group or team for something specific.)
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?